[linux-elitists] Caldera/SCO sues Autozone, Daimler-Chrysler

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Fri Mar 5 00:07:35 PST 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> on Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 06:10:58AM -0500, Matthew W. Miller (mwmiller@columbus.rr.com) wrote:
> > >So why didn't they pick a well known Linux user such as Google or a
> > >University installing a big Beowulf? Of all the possibilities discussed
> > >in Groklaw, AutoZone and Daimler-Chrysler didn't rise to the top.
> >
> > Oh, but they did!  Google is known mostly to Internauts; Beowulf
> > clusters, mostly to Slashdotters.  Daimler-Chrysler is known to *the
> > general public*.  Crucial difference.
>
> The general public isn't following this case.
>
> Hell, Editor Ed whatshisface of one of the MSFT idolatry PC mags (can't
> remember if it was eWeek or PC Magazine) was explaining breathlessly on
> the Vallejo-SF ferry last year how the SCO case didn't exist in his
> world.  Though I believe they've actually showed a smidge of interest
> since.
>
> Something else is cooking.  Halloween X and the BofA Word reveal are of
> interest.  And word from a friend (teasing bastard) is that there's more
> going on with that.  All shall be revealed (and no, don't ask, I don't
> know).
>
> Peace.

Microsoft is now persuading several decent sized companies that things will
go more smoothly all round if the companies recognize the justice of
NewSCO's equitable demand that NewSCO be paid for every Linux kernel in
use.

Indeed, Microsoft will shortly suggest that, in the interests of a more
level playing field and strict compliance with the law, that every
Microsoft partner pay for every Linux kernel they have ever used.
Microsoft will offer to pay all back license fees to NewSCO if the partner
forswears all use of the Linux kernel in future.  This Microsoft act of
grace is not as selfless as might at first appear: Microsoft cannot be seen
as condoning unpaid use of the Linux kernel.  Such unpaid use is an assault
on the very foundation of software innovation: copyright barratry.

oo--JS.