[linux-elitists] Re: Social engineering

Matthew W. Miller mwmiller@columbus.rr.com
Thu Mar 4 02:32:10 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 12:43:12PM -0500, Matthew Galgoci wrote:
>On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 staff@zgp.org wrote:
>> Your e-mail account has been temporary disabled because of
>> unauthorized access.
>Geez, this new virus is just pure evil. The social engineering aspects
>are frighteningly really well thought out:
>http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.netsky.d@mm.html#technicaldetails

Close but no cigar.  This is Bagle/Beagle variant J or K (the canned
messages they send are mostly the same, but details of how they spread
are different):

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32baglej.html
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32baglek.html

>It's days like this that I am glad I don't have to deal with windows

Heh, even if someone doesn't have to deal with MS-Windows, *everyone*
has to deal with MS-Windows ignorance.
--
Matthew W. Miller <mwmiller@columbus.rr.com>      MPlayer does not suck.