[linux-elitists] Caldera/SCO sues Autozone, Daimler-Chrysler

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Mar 3 16:24:51 PST 2004

on Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 07:52:28PM +0000, Geoff Lane (zzassgl@buffy.sighup.org.uk) wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 12:37:22PM -0700, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> > Darl said that, with minimal changes, that suit could be filed against any
> > Linux user, whether they were ever an SCO customer or not.
>
> So why didn't they pick a well known Linux user such as Google or a
> University installing a big Beowulf? Of all the possibilities discussed in
> Groklaw, AutoZone and Daimler-Chrysler didn't rise to the top.

Look for both to be making major announcements in the near future about
major Microsoft strategic initiatives.  EV1 was turned out (AFAIK by The
Register) as a case study in MSFT rapid deployment.  I suspect any
"fines" will be more than offset by kickbacks^Whush money^W^Wbribes^W
strategic discounts from Microsoft.

> The selection is curious, neither are so cash poor that they will just
> pay the Danegeld and hope the Danes will stay away (which I suspect is
> what happened with EV1 - their new server site must have cost a bomb
> and they couldn't risk any kind of injunction that prevented it
> starting operations) and the case against either is dependent on them
> offering up the evidence to convict during discovery.

Nope, you clearly missed this:

    http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/facts/casestudy.asp?CaseStudyID=14464

    EV1 Servers.net put the Microsoft Solution for legacy MS
    Windows-based Hosting to the test and quickly discovered that ADS
    made it possible to deploy a server running Microsoft legacy MS
    Windows Server 2003 with Internet Information Services 6.0 and Ensim
    WEBppliance Pro in a mere 18 minutes.

Peace.

  Backgrounder on the Caldera/SCO vs. IBM and Linux dispute.
      http://sco.iwethey.org/