[linux-elitists] Caldera/SCO sues Autozone, Daimler-Chrysler

Geoff Lane zzassgl@buffy.sighup.org.uk
Wed Mar 3 11:52:28 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 12:37:22PM -0700, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> Darl said that, with minimal changes, that suit could be filed against any
> Linux user, whether they were ever an SCO customer or not.

So why didn't they pick a well known Linux user such as Google or a
University installing a big Beowulf? Of all the possibilities discussed in
Groklaw, AutoZone and Daimler-Chrysler didn't rise to the top.  The
selection is curious, neither are so cash poor that they will just pay the
Danegeld and hope the Danes will stay away (which I suspect is what happened
with EV1 - their new server site must have cost a bomb and they couldn't
risk any kind of injunction that prevented it starting operations) and the
case against either is dependent on them offering up the evidence to convict
during discovery.

It's almost as if SCO are confusing activity with progress... "Sir! The
attack is bogged down in the mud!", "No matter! Open up another front
immediately!"

--
Geoff Lane
Elwood:   What kind of music do you play here?