[linux-elitists] Notify about using the e-mail account.

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Mar 3 10:48:26 PST 2004

on Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 06:56:33AM -0800, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) wrote:
> begin Adam Kessel quotation of Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 11:35:39PM -0500:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 11:28:15PM -0500, staff@zgp.org wrote:
> > > Dear  user of "Zgp.org"  mailing  system,
> >
> > I suppose this is the obvious question, but how did this get through?
>
> Good question.
>
> > Is "staff@zgp.org" really subscribed to this list?
>
> No.
>
> > Or are all zpg.org  addresses whitelisted in mailman?
>
>              (zgp)
>
> Not to my knowledge.  I'm looking through headers and the Mailman
> config right now.  Anyone else have any ideas here?

Not sure how this got past Mailman, though the SMTP forgery looks like
the solution.

One thought on the password-protected Zip archive:  looks like the virus
writer took a gamble that preventing virus scanners for automatically
scanning the archive and getting through to idiot users would result in
broader dispersal.  And from the results in my mailbox (fortunately
mostly filtered now), the idiots are winning.

Peace.

   NPR:  Radio for between the ears:  http://www.npr.org/