[linux-elitists] Notify about using the e-mail account.

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Mar 3 10:43:51 PST 2004

on Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 01:18:55PM -0500, Andrew (akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com) wrote:
> > That would be appreciated -- and I'm going to have to do that myself.
> > Wonder if it's SpamAssassin yet has SPF checking?  Hmm, no, still slated
> > for 2.70.
>
> Is SA still a viable solution?  The people I talk to in #spamassassin seem
> to be under the impression that it is rapidly evolving into a basic
> Bayesian filter since nobody wants to maintain the rulesets anymore.
>
> I've been an SA user since the early 2.3 days but it seems that it's
> becoming less and less of what it set out to be with every release.

It's evolving, as is spam.

Rulesets only get you so far.  The nice thing about the Bayesian
classifiers is that they are automatically adaptive.

Note too that SA includes DNSBL and other (Razor / Pyzor/ DCC) lookups.
As well as address-based white and blacklists.

And there is a new class of adaptive filters which promises 99.97+%
effectiveness at spam filtering.  These scan "windows" of text rather
than single-word naive Bayesian analysis.

    http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/02/24/0025219&mode=nested
    http://crm114.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam/

The advantage of Spamassassin has pretty much always been that it's a
_framework_ into which you can drop arbitrary spam-detection methods.
In this sense, I suspect it will be a preferred solution for a long time
to come.  Method-specific filters (Bayesian filters, DNSBLs, Razor,
challenge-response) will come and go.  Generalized solutions will
persist.

Peace.

    Of the top 24 industrialized nations, only Turkey has the government
    covering a smaller percentage of medical costs than the USA.
    - Laurie Garret, _Betrayal of Trust_