[linux-elitists] Debian on IDE flash

Geordie Birch geordie@resist.ca
Mon Mar 1 14:02:17 PST 2004

Eugen Leitl <eugen@leitl.org> [01 Mar 2004 10:03 +0100]:

> A few days ago I got a 10 EUR IDE to CF adapter (PC Engines GmbH, a Swiss
> company), and on a lark installed Debian 3.0r2 on it. A minimal install
> fit very well on a 256 MByte CF card. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough
> space to switch to unstable/testing, and upgrade to 2.4 or 2.6 kernel family.

> Apart from fli4l (which is router-centric) there doesn't seem to be a
> flash-oriented Linux distro with more or less recent kernels (2.4; 2.6) and
> minimal server functionality (NFS, ssh, http, SMB-CIFS, etc), right?

  No need to upgrade the kernel - you can install Debian 3.0r2 with the
2.4 kernel.

  I don't do a lot of installs, but they tell me over in #debian on
freenode that the base install takes up about 150 MB.  That should
almost leave you enough breathing space to upgrade to unstable a few
packages at a time.

  Geordie.