[linux-elitists] Debian on IDE flash

Donnie Barnes djb@donniebarnes.com
Mon Mar 1 09:36:20 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 04:36, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Perhaps I've missed it (I've googled, and read up on Rick's diverse
> pages), so I'd be thankful for any suggestions.

I took a look through:

        http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/

And nothing stuck out at me.  In fact, I was amazed at how many
"minimal" Linux distributions there are, but how bad their home pages
were as far as telling me what was *really* in them (no kernel versions
listed at all on some).

I recently ordered several IDE to CF adapters from:

        http://www.mach5products.com/

They haven't arrived yet, but I was already starting to try to figure
out how to best get started.  I have a bit of a RH bias, but even a
minimal Fedora distro isn't going to help much without major trimming.
I may still do that, but I'm open to alternatives.

I have several planned projects each using independent Linux machines
with no moving parts (well, other than a fan, perhaps).  The first is a
streaming audio server that'll take sound off a sound card input and
stream it in MP3 via the web in realtime.  Think baby monitor.  :)  The
second will be a router that also does some security functions for a
vacation house (uploads pics at some frequency to a remote location with
a few other tricks thrown in, perhaps).  The third is a bit more
ambitious, but I'd like to build an asterisk "slave" server for small
remote locations to talk to a master server via VOIP to extend the
master asterisk services.

There are some other random ideas I've had these could help with.  I
assume you know you probably want your Flash mounted read-only once you
get development done since it doesn't really last *that* long in a
read-write environment like that.  My plan was to use enough system RAM
that I could boot off the flash then create a ramdisk as scratch space
and still have room to do other stuff, too.  Obviously you can use the
network for storage, too.

--Donnie

--
  Donnie Barnes  http://www.donniebarnes.com  djb@donniebarnes.com  879.  V.