[linux-elitists] Debian on IDE flash

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Mon Mar 1 01:36:52 PST 2004

A few days ago I got a 10 EUR IDE to CF adapter (PC Engines GmbH, a Swiss
company), and on a lark installed Debian 3.0r2 on it. A minimal install
fit very well on a 256 MByte CF card. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough
space to switch to unstable/testing, and upgrade to 2.4 or 2.6 kernel family.

I also flopped around with Flonix, but documentation for USB flash stick
install isn't readily available (the archives are largely in French), so I
gave up on them at some point. (The CDROM version choked on my Radeon, perhaps
I shall try another box).

Apart from fli4l (which is router-centric) there doesn't seem to be a
flash-oriented Linux distro with more or less recent kernels (2.4; 2.6) and
minimal server functionality (NFS, ssh, http, SMB-CIFS, etc), right?

Perhaps I've missed it (I've googled, and read up on Rick's diverse pages),
so I'd be thankful for any suggestions.