[linux-elitists] network filesystem (not Samba nor NFS)

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Mon Jun 14 08:17:25 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 12:47, wuonm wrote:
> Hi,
> I will implement the GFS
> (http://www.cs.rochester.edu/sosp2003/papers/p125-ghemawat.pdf) but
> until I save enough money to stay at home writing it, and assuming
> Google will not open-source soon, I'll try some alternative.
>
> The objective is to cut off the use of a central NFS based fileserver
> (an appliance) to avoid the headaches when it breaks down.
>
> After some research it seems that the only useable networked filesystem
> is AFS (openafs.org)
>
> Any good/bad experience with this? with other?

Ever try NCP over IP? That's the Novell thinger. Works pretty good, is
only going to get better as Novell digs into Linux.

What about Micr0$0ft's DFS with SMB. SAMBA can act as a member of it...
or you could even just use SAMBA to host it over a few machines.

I am guessing SMB isn't a good choice for you, mainly the title of this
e-mail. Not that I have any documented animosity towards Micr0$0ft,
anyway.

Never used OpenAFS, but the concept seems sound enough. Nothing obvious
seems to put an iron shod boot to my noggin. That is always a good sign.
I have^H^H^H^Hmay have been wrong before... ... The voices inside my
head tend to help me forget any mistakes I may^H^H^Hcouldn't have made.

Maybe I've had to many iron-shod boots to the head as well... come to
think of it, that *would* explain many things.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup