[linux-elitists] Walmart $168.00 PC

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Sun Jun 13 23:02:38 PDT 2004

In the immortal words of John S J Anderson <jacobs@genehack.org>:
> Modus Operandi <modus@as220.org> writes:
>
> > It's difficult in this day and age not to contribute to evil
> > corporations. Most of the food you buy in the supermarket is
> > probably from a food producer that's owned by a tobacco company
> > that's owned by an arms manufacturer.
>
>   Just because you can't _stop_ it, doesn't mean that you shouldn't
>   try to _minimize_ it. Yes, electronics manufacturing has a heavy
>   environmental footprint. That's completely orthogonal to the point
>   at hand, which was somebody buying a computer at Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart,
>   in addition to all the other nasty things it does, has an abhorrent
>   labor record -- things like forced unpaid overtime and locking
>   employees in the store after closing time. Lots and lots of places
>   that are far less evil than Wal-Mart sell computers.

True. And I _do_ try to minimize my negative impact:

   * I walk, bike or take public transportation instead of driving.
   * I've never bought a new computer, preferring instead to refurbish
     older hardware other folks are discarding, including this Celeron
     (Coppermine) which /proc/cpuinfo rates at 902.066 MHz.
   * I don't buy new clothes, with the notable exception of silkscreened
     t-shirts that I habitually buy from cool bands.
   * And I _don't_ shop at Wal-Mart, nor did I ever explicitly advocate
     buying a computer from them. I'm just saying I think it's cool
     that they are doing their part to spread the Free Software meme.

>   BTW, the sigmonster came up with that all on its own. Pinky swear.
>
> john.
> --
> "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
> involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
>   - "Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies", Mike Godwin, EFF staff counsel.

Liar.

--
/home/modus/.signature