[linux-elitists] Walmart $168.00 PC

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Sun Jun 13 19:11:25 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 20:35, Modus Operandi wrote:
> In the immortal words of Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net>:
> > So, then you'll agree that Microsoft has REALLY done nothing wrong then?
> > So reward them with MORE incentive to continue the monopoly.
> >
> > Would you talk/think well of a mass murderer that was a volunteer talk
> > down phone operator at a suicide center?
> >
> > So in general you have no morals or values?
>
> "Hitler!"
Ha... oh... aw shit I can't call it... DAM.

> Wal-Mart is a despicable company, to be sure; I've granted you that. But
> if Wal-Mart's enormous market penetration in North America can introduce
> more people to cheap computers with Linux pre-installed -- even a crappy
> Lindows distro, or the Sun Java / SuSe thing Mr. Bad mentioned -- well,
> I fail to see how that has anything to do with rewarding Microsoft. From
> where I sit, it looks more like they are encouraging competition.
It was one of those... "not related to the current topic at all" replies
that lotsa people complain about. You know non-sequined or
non-sequestered or something err other. [1]

> The Bad One also made another great point when he spoke of the negative
> environmental impact of computer hardware in general. It doesn't really
> matter who you buy it from -- you're still contributing to some really
> ugly stuff. But it always amuses me when people get preachy about one
> tiny aspect of the big picture
I've got a Good SLR camera... it takes really good pictures you can
blow-up to get *BIG* pictures.

>  -- I mean, if you want to boycott
> Wal-Mart then bully for you, but do you eat meat, or drive a vehicle
> that burns fossil fuels, or smoke cigarettes, or buy clothing made in
> sweatshops?
I guess, I should probably state that you can't take these kinds of
discussions with me, seriously.

> I suppose it's possible that you are a simple Amish
> Linux-Elitist who sews his own clothing, builds his own house, farms
> his own land, and makes his own computers out of organic hemp.
Well, just to let you know it tough to get the water driven gateway to
work proper with this new fangled internet technology. The reverse
resolution seems to work pretty good though.

>  But
> somehow I don't think so. It's difficult in this day and age not to
> contribute to evil corporations. Most of the food you buy in the
> supermarket is probably from a food producer that's owned by a tobacco
> company that's owned by an arms manufacturer.
I don't use electricity, but I know the coal fields are all owned by
those ruthless Railroad corporations.

> How do you know where to draw the line?
Well, I pickup a writing instrument... usually a piece of compressed
charcoal and take some writing media, usually hand made paper and start
with that.

I have to admit, my first response to the WalMart mail from Dragan
Stancevic, was completely and 100% sarcastic... but then maybe it
wasn't.

[1] Yes, I know it is non-squirter err non-sequitor
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup