[linux-elitists] Walmart $168.00 PC

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Sun Jun 13 17:35:10 PDT 2004

In the immortal words of Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net>:
> On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 14:21, Modus Operandi wrote:
> >   Yes, Wal-Mart sucks.
> >
> >   On the other hand, they've been selling PCs with Linux pre-installed
> >   for a few years now, which is a Good Thing.
>
> So, then you'll agree that Microsoft has REALLY done nothing wrong then?
> So reward them with MORE incentive to continue the monopoly.
>
> Would you talk/think well of a mass murderer that was a volunteer talk
> down phone operator at a suicide center?
>
> So in general you have no morals or values?

"Hitler!"

Wal-Mart is a despicable company, to be sure; I've granted you that. But
if Wal-Mart's enormous market penetration in North America can introduce
more people to cheap computers with Linux pre-installed -- even a crappy
Lindows distro, or the Sun Java / SuSe thing Mr. Bad mentioned -- well,
I fail to see how that has anything to do with rewarding Microsoft. From
where I sit, it looks more like they are encouraging competition.

The Bad One also made another great point when he spoke of the negative
environmental impact of computer hardware in general. It doesn't really
matter who you buy it from -- you're still contributing to some really
ugly stuff. But it always amuses me when people get preachy about one
tiny aspect of the big picture -- I mean, if you want to boycott
Wal-Mart then bully for you, but do you eat meat, or drive a vehicle
that burns fossil fuels, or smoke cigarettes, or buy clothing made in
sweatshops? I suppose it's possible that you are a simple Amish
Linux-Elitist who sews his own clothing, builds his own house, farms
his own land, and makes his own computers out of organic hemp. But
somehow I don't think so. It's difficult in this day and age not to
contribute to evil corporations. Most of the food you buy in the
supermarket is probably from a food producer that's owned by a tobacco
company that's owned by an arms manufacturer.

How do you know where to draw the line?

--
/home/modus/.signature