[linux-elitists] Seperating Content from Presentation

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Fri Jun 11 01:28:15 PDT 2004

On 10-Jun-2004, Mike MacCana wrote:
> > > But not properly.
>
> > Eh?  Who decides "properly" again?
>
> Common sense. My definition, but you're a smart guy, so probably yours
> too.

Well, my definition of "display plain text properly" simply has the
lines of text displayed as lines of text, in the appropriate character
set.

> As mentioned before...
> " One line (with lots of i characters) is half as long an another
> (with lots of ems). Sounds unreadable to me."

I don't see how you can say that lines of text, displayed as lines of
text in the character set required, in the user's choice of font, is
"unreadable".

I'm grateful that this discussion has illuminated me to the
"format=flowed" option for MIME.  It does seem to be the right solution,
if only it were implemented more widely.

--
 \       "I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not |
  `\    our children's children, because I don't think children should |