[linux-elitists] Seperating Content from Presentation

Peter Clay pete@flatline.org.uk
Thu Jun 10 03:34:53 PDT 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Mike MacCana wrote:

> Unmaintained closed source apps like pine don't, but that's a very
> limited set.

Recent versions of Pine have an inbuilt HTML viewer. It works well enough
that I didn't realise this for a while until I saw hyperlinks appearing
inline.

> I'm adamant that the amount of in-use mail clients that can show an HTML
> message properly is less than the amount of in-use mail clients that can
> read a 80-monospaced-character forced mail properly.

Er, have you dropped a negative from that sentence?

To me, this whole discussion assumes some bizarro world where rendering
HTML on your tiny device is easier than writing an
80-monospaced-character-to-tiny-device client-side reflower, with an
on/off button for ascii art and other things that get broken.

I have just realised that my sig is probably less effective than I
realised due to the prevalence of non-monospaced mail readers, though.

Pete
--
Peter Clay                                         | Campaign for   _  _| .__
                                                   | Digital       /  / | |