[linux-elitists] Seperating Content from Presentation

Mike MacCana mikem@cyber.com.au
Wed Jun 9 22:18:31 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 03:21, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 22:38:39 +1000
> Mike MacCana <mikem@cyber.com.au> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 21:33, J C Lawrence wrote:

> >> Even for ASCII art
>
> > I avoid using ASCII art in email precisely cause of such display
> > problems.
>
> I'm happy for your self-restraint.
>
> >> Source code in whitespace or even positionally sensitive languages?
> >> Tabular data?
>
> > Mark it up as monospaced or a table. That's quite an appropriate use
> > of HTML.
>
> I'm not talking about HTML, I'm talking about plain text

I'm telling you that HTML might be an appropriate solution. Another
would be comma delimiting or tab delimiting. Carriage return at the end
of the row.

> Ahh.  So the deciding criteria is what you can be bothered with?

No, its just that I can't be bothered coming up with an RFC for common
sense.

> >> The author best understands his own message, not the reader,
>
> > The author does not how the reader will display the message and is
> > therefore in no position to dictate how it can be displayed.
>
> He is however in a position to provide hinting data, albeit via a data
> type which doesn't support markup.

Agreed.

> How the display device, be it a PDA,
> blindman's screen reader, OffalVision on a 3270 terminal, fully kitted
> web-enabled whiz-bang Alien Software (tm), or carved stone tablet
> decides to render that data is a local decision.

YES. That's why the sender shouldn't force the client to display the
information in a particular way. 80-character-monospaced documents are
like unstructured Word or Writer or HTML documents - ignoring the users
preferences in favor of the authors preferred display model.

Mike