[linux-elitists] Seperating Content from Presentation

Mike MacCana mikem@cyber.com.au
Wed Jun 9 22:18:28 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 13:34, Ben Finney wrote:
> On 10-Jun-2004, Mike MacCana wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 01:31, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> > > Text wrapping is a separate issue from using html in email.
> >
> > Certainly. But its a comparable one, in  terms of its affect over the
> > ability to display that information in some client software.
>
> No.  The comparison fails at the point where we ask "what is the
> necessary client configuration to read the message?"
>
> For HTML email, you *must* have an HTML-capable client, that correctly
> parses the flavour of HTML in the message.  That's a sharply limited
> set.

Not as much as most people think - again, as before, most maintained
mail clients support this. mutt, evo mail.app, whatever.

Unmaintained closed source apps like pine don't, but that's a very
limited set.

> For plain-text, line-wrapped mail, any client that understands plain
> text can show the message content for reading.

But not properly.

> That includes *every*
> mail client intended for interactive use.

I'm adamant that the amount of in-use mail clients that can show an HTML
message properly is less than the amount of in-use mail clients that can
read a 80-monospaced-character forced mail properly.

This is because I think most Unix users tend to overestimate the amount
of people using unmaintained closed source terminal mailers.

Mike