[linux-elitists] Seperating Content from Presentation

Jeff Kinz jkinz@kinz.org
Wed Jun 9 11:37:39 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 10:53:49AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> Using stupid copyright threats to get your way against
> spammers is killing flies with a blowtorch inside
> your own house.

Not if they actually send you the money.  :) hee hee!

Its been in my sig for years.  Longer than I've been
posting here.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.

> And, IDCIYTIALON*, email addressess are not
> copyrightable anyway.  Read the decisions in

SHHHHH! Not so loud! They'll hear you!
(geez, don't spoil it for the rest of us!)

> Good Lord, the .sig was silly enough, but before
> sending this I actually followed the link.

> What possessed you to write that bullshit?
Good Lord, What posessed you to follow that link? :)

spam.  Actually, I didn't write it.  I ripped off somebody's
copyrighted legal boilerplate.   :)

Does this constitute fair use ? :)

> * I Don't Care If You Think I'm A Lawyer Or Not.

me either.  I just wanna scare 'em long enough to get some dough!

As long as I can convince them that they have accepted a legally binding
offer I've got some leverage.  Even if all I do is get them to spend
money on a lawyer I had some effect.  Mostly only works on smaller
outfits.

Most important of all - Its FUN!

Besides - who knows, maybe one day it will help set a precedent that will
actually generate economic pressure against the spammers!

Do you think it would better if I sent an actual offer to critique bulk
email out to the unsubscribe address?

That way I could use a specific and unique email address to link each
offer to the spammers accepting the offer.  hmmmm.

--
Jeff Kinz,  Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.
"jkinz@kinz.org" is copyright 2004.