[linux-elitists] Seperating Content from Presentation

Mike MacCana mikem@cyber.com.au
Wed Jun 9 05:38:39 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 21:33, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 15:16:13 +1000
> Mike MacCana <mikem@cyber.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Er, no. If a line is wider than the window it should be wrapped.
>
> Even for ASCII art

I avoid using ASCII art in email precisely cause of such display
problems.

> Source code in whitespace or even positionally sensitive languages?
> Tabular data?

Mark it up as monospaced or a table. That's quite an appropriate use of
HTML.

> Please provide a sample implementation of how to appropriately wrap text
> in Roman and non-Roman languages as well as to recognise and not wrap
> code from all the major/common programming languages and other
> potentially formatting sensitive forms (eg ASCII art).

Hit carriage return when you need a  paragraph. More than that I can't
be bothered with.

> >> Remember, make the data smart, so the software can be simple.
>
> > Data with unnecessary line wraps is dumb.
>
> The author best understands his own message, not the reader,

The author does not how the reader will display the message and is
therefore in no position to dictate how it can be displayed.

Mike