[linux-elitists] Linksys router and GPIO or serial port?

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Wed Jun 2 11:34:51 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 02:19:41PM -0400, Etienne Goyer wrote:
>Jim Richardson wrote:
>>As it stands, if your landline goes down, say, lightning takes out the
>>pole by your house, you're screwed until the phone co comes out and
>>fixes it. That's the nature of a hub and spoke system like POTS.
>>However, with sufficient wireless coverage, if your box dies, your
>>neighbors box is close enough for you to piggy back on. That's the
>>nature of an overlapping cell system.
>
><nitpicking>If lightning take out the pole by your house, you are
>probably out of power too.  That most probably mean inoperative WiFi
>equipement, unless you had the foresight to get a UPS or some way to
>power your rig with battery.</nitpicking>

Well, personally, I live on a boat, I have a 2000W inverter, and in a
few more weeks, will have increased my battery bank to >500 AH. Does
that count? :)

It just happens to be very selective about who its friends are.
	-- Kyle Hearn