[linux-elitists] Linksys router and GPIO or serial port?

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Wed Jun 2 11:07:01 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 09:38:25AM -0400, Etienne Goyer wrote:
>Jeff Waugh wrote:
>><quote who="Etienne Goyer">
>>
>>>Off course, I am going to trust a ramshackle network built on
>>>consumer-grade equipement, running a best-effort protocol over a medium
>>>sensitive to interference and managed by your Average Joe for my telephony
>>>needs ...
>>

>>Of course, I am going to trust a ramshackle operating system built on free
>>consumer-grade compilers, running a best-effort security regime over a wide
>>open network and written by pimply, undergrad coders for my enterprise
>>computing needs...
>>
>>   "Oh no, that's different!"
>
>Ho yes it is.  As someone else pointed out, the description definitely
>don't reflect the state of Linux today (I know, sarcasm and all).  But
>it does'nt stop there.  To make Linux perform with the reliability of
>the current landline phone system, you need suitable hardware
>(redundancy and/or fail-over) and proficient staff taking care of it.
>The Cringely's scheme is built on neither.  Actually, it _depend_ on
>cheap hardware and having the Average Joe administrate the service.
>
>    "Weight apple, weigth orange ... hey, they weight about the same !"

As it stands, if your landline goes down, say, lightning takes out the
pole by your house, you're screwed until the phone co comes out and
fixes it. That's the nature of a hub and spoke system like POTS.
However, with sufficient wireless coverage, if your box dies, your
neighbors box is close enough for you to piggy back on. That's the
nature of an overlapping cell system.

Take responsibility for your actions, put a lawyer out of buisness.