[linux-elitists] Linksys router and GPIO or serial port?

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer@linuxquebec.com
Wed Jun 2 06:38:25 PDT 2004

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Etienne Goyer">
>
>>Off course, I am going to trust a ramshackle network built on
>>consumer-grade equipement, running a best-effort protocol over a medium
>>sensitive to interference and managed by your Average Joe for my telephony
>>needs ...
>

> Of course, I am going to trust a ramshackle operating system built on free
> consumer-grade compilers, running a best-effort security regime over a wide
> open network and written by pimply, undergrad coders for my enterprise
> computing needs...
>
>   "Oh no, that's different!"

Ho yes it is.  As someone else pointed out, the description definitely
don't reflect the state of Linux today (I know, sarcasm and all).  But
it does'nt stop there.  To make Linux perform with the reliability of
the current landline phone system, you need suitable hardware
(redundancy and/or fail-over) and proficient staff taking care of it.
The Cringely's scheme is built on neither.  Actually, it _depend_ on
cheap hardware and having the Average Joe administrate the service.

    "Weight apple, weigth orange ... hey, they weight about the same !"