[linux-elitists] Linksys router and GPIO or serial port?

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer@linuxquebec.com
Wed Jun 2 06:25:28 PDT 2004

Martin Pool wrote:
> Telephony has the special case of carrying calls to emergency services
> but it's not clear to me that the whole system needs to be engineered
> to that level, rather than allowing the market to price QoS.  How
> often do you make a life-and-death call?

It does'nt really matter.  It could be once in a lifetime, but it _have_
to work that one time.

The market have already priced near-perfect QoS for voice communication:
it's about 30$ CDN a month (including taxes).  Even assuming the scheme
hinted by Cringely end up costing 10$ a month (don't forget to include
power, equipement amortization, etc), the saving would be pretty
insignificant and probably not worth the drop in QoS and the added
complexity.  Considering the success of this scheme depend on large
adoption for coverage, I highly doubt it have any future.