[linux-elitists] Linksys router and GPIO or serial port?

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer@linuxquebec.com
Tue Jun 1 11:54:27 PDT 2004

Don Marti wrote:
> Yeah, yeah, yeah, disruptive technology,
> hack the phone system, power to the
> community network, and all that...
> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20040527.html
> (thanks for the link, Jeff:
> http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/blog/2004/05/30/)

Off course, I am going to trust a ramshackle network built on
consumer-grade equipement, running a best-effort protocol over a medium
sensitive to interference and managed by your Average Joe for my
telephony needs ...

The hack value of these WRT54G router is indeed awesome, but Cringely
got overboard on this one.  It's not even _starting_ to threaten the
telco landline services.

> But what I want to know is: has anyone put one
> or more general-purpose I/O lines, or a serial
> port, on this thing?  There are pads for a
> serial port on some of the board photos here:
> http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=6

According to the FAQ section of
http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/LinksysWrt54g, there are two
standard serial port header on the board.  However, it is not clear if
that apply only to the 1.0 version of the board (scarce) or if it still
apply to current shipping unit.  If I understand correctly, these are
the header you can see at the top right corner of the picture at
http://seattlewireless.net/~mattw/photos/linksyswrt54g/gallery/IMG_3425.html

This is just what I can gather from the documentation at Seattle
Wireless; I have no first-hand experience with this router.  I would
love to have clarification from someone who have real-world experience
hacking this baby.

> Or is the way to go, if you want to make a wireless
> fish feeder or whatever, just to hook up some kind
> of 8-bit microcontroller with Ethernet support to
> the Ethernet on the Linksys box?

My project for this router would be to hookup a voice modem on one of
the serial port and make it an answering machine.  I have not yet
figured out where the messages would actually be stored, as storage
space is _very_ tight on this device.  Emailed, maybe ?

> Boxes that have a serial port and one wired Ethernet
> are about four times the price of the Linksys box,
> and the Linksys is wireless.

Now, imagine if Linksys had the foresight to put a USB port on this
machine.  It make my head spin.