[linux-elitists] New Kernel Dev model...

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Thu Jul 22 21:15:56 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 22:43, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 10:49:34AM +1000, Mike MacCana wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 13:36 -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > > I have mixed feelings about this... leaving the stabilizations to the
> > > Vendors/Distros... It was already happening... but why make it defacto.
> >
> > As you say, this just codifies existing practice. Mainline 2.4 wasn't
> > stable (think VM change), 2.6 won't be either.
>
> Late 2.5, and all of 2.6 development is done radically different than
> 2.4 was.  Basically, we are going to continue to do nothing differently,
> other than pointing out to the world, that we are operating quite
> differently than people really think we are.
[snip]

To be honest Greg, this one actually made more dent in convincing me
than the other reply. Thanks to Mike to bring out the "Best" in all of
us. This really confirms my gut feeling (and if you have ever seen my
gut,[1] that is a hard thing to ignore).

> For those interested they are:
> 	- bootsplash
> 	- speakup
> 	- squashfs
> 	- supermount
>     and I think I'll drop supermount next to see who screams...

You're Chicken... I dare you to do it. Then submit that patch to remove
all the files from the tree.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is