[linux-elitists] Judge Sweet

The Robber of Zork robber@zork.net
Thu Jul 22 19:08:05 PDT 2004

begin  Aaron T Porter  quotation:

> 	Uh, pick-axe, wasn't it?

I had axe in my mental rolodex, but when I went to check it, by spending
a minute in google, I came up with a mention of the ice-pick. In light of
tonight's apparent confusion, I went to a more or less horse's mouth
source, which stays with the ice-pick:

"On 20 August, 1940, Trotsky was struck a fatal blow with an ice-pick by
Ramon Mercader, an agent sent to Mexico by Stalin's secret police (the
GPU) to murder the exiled revolutionary..."

http://www.marxist.net/trotsky/life/life.htm

Surely one of the literati on this list must have Deutscher's _The
Prophet Outcast_ lying around?

I must say that it dismays me to no end that no one here has noticed that
the date of Trotsky's assassination makes mince-meat of one of my
assertions. I said that, to find a decent example of how comparisons to
Germany-in-the-Thirties were used in Leftist literature, one would
"...have to go back to the Good Old Days prior to Leon getting the - what
was it, an ice pick? - coup de grace courtesy HQ Moscow." I ought to
stand accused of posting ARRANT NONSENSE, but maybe, it's just one of
those slow nights around here, huh?

--
Beware The Frumious Robber of Zork