[linux-elitists] Judge Sweet

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Thu Jul 22 11:23:50 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 05:11:45PM +0000, The Robber Of Zork wrote:
>Just for fun, do first, a google search, then a yahoo search, on this
>term:
>
>"sweet backpack police"
>
>Never mind; I'll do it for you. The results:

That's all right, I'll do it thanks.

>yahoo results:
>
>www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1174891/posts
>
>www.leefleming.com/neurotwitch
>
>www.wrgb.com/news/regional/regional.asp?selection=article_17582
>
>www.nydailynews.com/news/story/213956p-184246c.html
>
>www.jihadwatch.org/
>

>google results:

<snip>

I got significantly different results from Google than you.

www.nydailynews.com
www.fbbn.com
www.evanovich.com

&etc, not a chinese site on the first page of hits.

>Comment:
>
>Google's first two results are Chinese sites. I don't know what
>'eastday.com' is. Then google loses the thread completely and starts
>returning shopping links for backpacks.
>
>Yahoo returns Free Republic, The New York Daily News and some
>interesting looking blogs.
>
>And Google continues to hide behind its defense of (may I paraphrase?) "no human
>intervention - our algorithm is solely responsible for search rankings."
>
>I can only conclude Google's algorithm for news sucks.

I can only conclude that it doesn't. But that's me.

For news, better to use news.google.com. First four responces to a
search with those terms, on that part of google were quite instructive.

The opinion piece in the nydaily just reinforces to me, how much like
Germany in the early 1930's we can become. With dimbulbs assuring us
that it's not a problem for us to lose privacy, as long as he is worried
something might happen. He even trots out the "if you don't have
anything to hide... " malarky.

OT, I know, sorry.

NT is the only OS that has caused me to beat a piece of hardware
 to death with my bare hands.
	-- Derry Hamilton