[linux-elitists] New Kernel Dev model...

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Thu Jul 22 10:36:51 PDT 2004

Greg Kroah-Hartman how dare you test out the NEW Development model for
the Linux Kernel. </joke>

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/3513

I have mixed feelings about this... leaving the stabilizations to the
Vendors/Distros... It was already happening... but why make it defacto.

I know, this has been discussed in detail (not enough IMHO) and I just
would really like a direct view from someone involved in the mess.
(where mess == project)

I can see this easily confusing people that gloss over details and then
complain like Hell hath returned when it bites them on the BUM-BUM. To
me I really could not careless, I have the skill to workaround problems,
but where does this leave others that are not so well endowed?

I hope this is not going to be like the 2.4.8 - 2.4.12 Drama.

I like development models that are Dev->Test->QA->RC->Release for
Production builds.

This WILL slow the adoption of Linux more than SCO did. Mainly not
because people like me aren't comfortable, but those weenie CXOs are the
ones trembling when a development model changes like this. Even *IF* the
broken model really worked like this, no need to prominently trot it out
in front of those that do not understand, which this will be doing.

Call me what you want. Convince me I am wrong... or further convince me
I am right in being cautious with my favorite IT thing, that has been my
favorite IT thing for 10+ years.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is