[linux-elitists] rsync hacks (fwd from kragen@pobox.com)

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Mon Jul 19 14:00:54 PDT 2004

On Monday 19 July 2004 16:52, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> If LVM's snapshot is a true atomic snapshot, then no quiescing of the
> database should be required. Every database has to contend with the fact
> that the system could crash or a disk could go off line at any time. If
> your database became corrupt every time the system crashed, it wouldn't
> be very useful.

Well I was suggesting notifying the DB of the upcoming snapshot so that you
wouldn't have to try and recover the DB in the event of a DB restore from the
snapshot; PG seems to recover nicely so far, but it's always nice to try and
play nice.

Thank you for the google search, btw, that is interesting.

-A.