[linux-elitists] rsync hacks (fwd from kragen@pobox.com)

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Mon Jul 19 12:09:59 PDT 2004

On Monday 19 July 2004 13:59, Sam Phillips wrote:
> > Filesystem snapshot ?
> True.  That would be the best way to do it.  I haven't looked into what
> it takes under linux to have something like that recently though.

I've only been half-following this thread, but LVM supports filesystem
snapshots.  Would this do what you need?  I'm eagerly awaiting PostgreSQL's
ability to quiesce its file structure so you can essentially tell it to sync,
run the LVM snapshot command, resume normal operation and back up while the
DB churns away as normal.

-A.