[linux-elitists] rsync hacks (fwd from kragen@pobox.com)

Sam Phillips sam@dasbistro.com
Mon Jul 19 10:13:02 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004, at 12:58 CDT, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Friday 16 July 2004 12:39, Sam Phillips wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 15, 2004, at 09:54 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > > Figured this could be useful for somebody here.

> > Now does anyone know a way for rsync to not alter the atime on files
> > that I'm backing up?
>
> Yeah, mount your filesystem -o noatime.  Seriously, though, you can't
> normally.  Atime (or last access time) is a function of the filesystem, and
> as you need to access the file in order to back it up, atime _must_ be
> changed, or else atime isn't reliable (and if it's not reliable, why have it
> at all?).

See, what we need is a way for a single process (or process group) to
behave like it has noatime set when it runs.  That one process would never
adjust the atime and all of the other processes on the system would
remain normal.

All of you kernel developers get on that.  Chop chop.

--
Sam Phillips <sam@dasbistro.com>          http://www.dasbistro.com/~sam/
San Francisco                                                 California