[linux-elitists] Kernel Development Statistics

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Wed Jul 7 17:53:49 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 02:24:18PM -0400, Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 08:45:59AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > > Does anyone know of a good study of kernel developer statistics?  E.g.,
> > I didn't check the geographical information, but here's a summary I
> > wrote up that was published in the first issue of Open Sources magazine.
> > I got the information directly from the kernel bitkeeper logs:
>
> Thanks. That's useful as a first pass.
>
> I assume, though, that this approach understates the number of developers
> involved because some changes are "funneled" through point people?  As a
> simple example, patches might be submitted to various distributions and
> then committed upstream--in this case the distribution person (rather
> than the original submitter) is credited in the bitkeeper changelog,
> correct?

Yes, that is correct.  But there are only about 3 people that patches
show up written by others for (akpm, rusty, and davej).  Now that the
way of crediting contributors has changed, it should be easier to
determine exactly who touched what change in a much finer grained
manner.

thanks,

greg k-h