[linux-elitists] Kernel Development Statistics

Adam Rosi-Kessel adam@rosi-kessel.org
Wed Jul 7 11:24:18 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 08:45:59AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a good study of kernel developer statistics?  E.g.,
> I didn't check the geographical information, but here's a summary I
> wrote up that was published in the first issue of Open Sources magazine.
> I got the information directly from the kernel bitkeeper logs:

Thanks. That's useful as a first pass.

I assume, though, that this approach understates the number of developers
involved because some changes are "funneled" through point people?  As a
simple example, patches might be submitted to various distributions and
then committed upstream--in this case the distribution person (rather
than the original submitter) is credited in the bitkeeper changelog,
correct?

--
Adam Rosi-Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org