[linux-elitists] weed-ware

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer@linuxquebec.com
Tue Jul 6 11:42:39 PDT 2004

Don Marti wrote:
> You need to go with a patent-free codec to be in
> the clear for all uses.  The Codec Buyer's Club,
> I mean Red Hat, has some good news in this area:
> http://www.realnetworks.com/company/press/releases/2004/real_redhat.html

I am not entirely sure, and this press release did not clear that up for
me, but I think the RealAudio® and RealVideo® codec are still very much
closed-source.  They just open-sourced the player itself, and added
support for a few free format (Ogg, Theora).  Like we do not have enough
media players already ...

Please correct me if I am wrong about the status of the
Real[Audio|Video]® codecs.