[linux-elitists] weed-ware (was: Open RealAudio?)

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Tue Jul 6 11:12:23 PDT 2004

begin Etienne Goyer quotation of Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 01:01:12PM -0400:

> You never heard of MPlayer ?
>
> Play RealAudio and most .wma just fine.

MPlayer is something that you can probably get away
with using at home, but not something you can build a
business around without running into trouble from a
government that's been bought off by the artificial
fibers and pharmaceuticals conspiracy, I mean the
proprietary software companies and the patent lawyers.

You need to go with a patent-free codec to be in
the clear for all uses.  The Codec Buyer's Club,
I mean Red Hat, has some good news in this area:
http://www.realnetworks.com/company/press/releases/2004/real_redhat.html

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/                     Learn Linux and free software