[linux-elitists] rdp, ica, vnc, X

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Tue Jul 6 06:26:03 PDT 2004

On Monday 05 July 2004 16:38, Etienne Goyer wrote:
> DXPC, upon which is built Nomachine NX, is reputedly an open protocol
> that is quite fast for network display.  Don't consider this and
> endorsement as I did not tried it myself, but a colleague did and say it
> is much faster than VNC.

I haven't tried it myself either, but in the "Expected Performance" it claims
that Netscape over dialup with xdpc is "near impossible".

Now true while over dialup I don't tend to view porn sites on a remote VNC
session but I find web browsing to be alright, albeit a little blocky due to
VNC not seeing screen updates[1].  Certainly not impossible though.

-A.

1- The development versions of TightVNC claim to have a display driver which
eliminates that problem and doesn't consume CPU like a ravenous bulimec.