[linux-elitists] Re: Which Linux distribution is the most powerful?

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Mon Jul 5 20:13:45 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 19:03, The Robber Of Zork wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 22:02, Sean Neakums wrote:
>
> > If it's saying "argument list too long" or somesuch, you need xargs.
> That was the complaint.
> > $ find /usr/ports -name DESCR -print | xargs grep '[Pp]owerful' | wc -l
> Ok. For FreeBSD 4.10 we have:
> > ls -lR /usr/ports | grep pkg-descr |wc -l
>    10420
> > find /usr/ports/ -name pkg-descr -print | xargs grep '[Pp]owerful' |wc
> -l
>      261
> ...giving FreeBSD a 2.5% power rating.
> Hmm....

But, but, but...

There is a level of BASE POWERFULNESS, according to the almighty GOOGLE.

FreeBSD:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Powerful+FreeBSD

of about 220,000

SuSE:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Powerful+SuSE

of about 168,000

Debian:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Powerful+Debian

of about 144,000

Mandrake:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Powerful+Mandrake

of about 106,000

OpenBSD:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Powerful+OpenBSD

of about 46,600

NetBSD:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Powerful+NetBSD

of about 39,900

Fedora Core:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Powerful+%22Fedora+Core%22

of about 29,400

Linspire:
http://www.google.com/search?&q=Powerful+Linspire+OR+Lindows

of about 27,900

Xandros:
http://www.google.com/search?&q=Powerful+Xandros

of about 12,400

Rankings:

        1. FreeBSD
        2. SuSE
        3. Debian
        4. Mandrake
        5. OpenBSD
        6. NetBSD
        7. Fedora Core
        8. Linspire
        9. Xandros

So, put that in perspective!

(Dam, I really thought/hoped Debian would be first!)
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup