[linux-elitists] Kernel Development Statistics

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer@linuxquebec.com
Mon Jul 5 08:16:35 PDT 2004

Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good study of kernel developer statistics?  E.g.,
> how many patches contributed by which developers over what period of
> time; where the kernel developers are geographically; etc..

On a somewhat related note, are there any statistic about what
proportion of OSS code is being written by paid programmers vs hobbyist?
  This is an argument I come up against very often in platform flamewar:
the notion that OSS are being written mostly by hobbyist, thus take away
job from professionnal programmers.  I personnally feel that, while
hobbyist OSS devs outnumber paid-for one, most of the code get written
by professional who derive revenue from it.

Be able to prove it would put an end to the "Open Source make
programmers starve !" argument.