[linux-elitists] Re: Which Linux distribution is the most powerful?

tek tek@pervasivenetwerks.com
Fri Jul 2 16:09:13 PDT 2004

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 15:31:14 -0400, Mister Bad wrote
> Matthew Galgoci wrote:
---snip---
> So, one thing I was wondering about the non-powerful packages in Debian
> was why they're in the distro in the first place, if they're not
> powerful? I thought for a bit that they might be really "simple", but
> there's only about 10% that are:
>
>         evan unicorn:~% apt-cache search simple | wc -l
>         1142
>
> And, y'know, some of those are actually powerful, too:
>
>         evan unicorn:~% apt-cache search simple powerful | wc -l
>         67
>
> There also just aren't a lot of packages that are "easy":
>
>         evan unicorn:~% apt-cache search easy | wc -l
>         748
>
> So, by rough ballpark figures, there's about 12-13 thousand packages
> in Debian that are neither powerful, simple, nor easy. In other
> words, the vast majority of Debian packages are hard to use, complex,
>  and *don't even do anything useful.*
>
> It's kinda depressing.

apt-cache search suck | wc -l
4

now we need a way to get the same kind of numbers of packages in windows that suck
and you have a real way to compare the two.
Tnt

--
Linux User  #186282
              PGP Key Fingerprint