[linux-elitists] Re: Which Linux distribution is the most powerful?

Mister Bad mr.bad@pigdog.org
Fri Jul 2 12:31:14 PDT 2004

Matthew Galgoci wrote:

> What defines a 'powerful package' in your eyes, Mr B?

One that has the word "powerful" in the package description.

> Don't forget yum repos set up on fedora.us and freshrpms.net :)

How hard would it be for you to do a search and figure out how many of
those packages are "powerful"? And what percentage of the total that is?

It'd be greatly appreciated.

So, one thing I was wondering about the non-powerful packages in Debian
was why they're in the distro in the first place, if they're not
powerful? I thought for a bit that they might be really "simple", but
there's only about 10% that are:

        evan unicorn:~% apt-cache search simple | wc -l
        1142

And, y'know, some of those are actually powerful, too:

        evan unicorn:~% apt-cache search simple powerful | wc -l
        67

There also just aren't a lot of packages that are "easy":

        evan unicorn:~% apt-cache search easy | wc -l
        748

So, by rough ballpark figures, there's about 12-13 thousand packages in
Debian that are neither powerful, simple, nor easy. In other words, the
vast majority of Debian packages are hard to use, complex, and *don't
even do anything useful.*

It's kinda depressing.

~Mr. Bad

--