[linux-elitists] Groupware servers

Tom Duffy tomduffy@dslextreme.com
Wed Jan 28 13:55:01 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 15:12, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> A friend of mine has a problem, at his office, they're slowly migrating
> from Windows to GNU/Linux on the desktops. He needs a groupware server
> that does shared calendars and mail, and that works with Outlook.

Ok, since it wasn't mentioned in either the Linux Magazine article or
here on l-e, I figure I should give a plug to Sun Java System Calendar
Server.*

> Outlook Interoperability
>
> Java System Connector for Microsoft Outlook is an Outlook plug-in that
> enables the use of Microsoft Outlook as the desktop client on Windows
> with Java System Messaging and Calendar servers. It is software that
> is installed on the end user's desktop and that makes server side
> features and functionality available through the user interface that
> is Outlook. It uses Microsoft's proprietary Messaging API (MAPI) to
> communicate with the Outlook interface, and handles messages in
> different ways depending on the type of information they contain.

It also works with Evolution.

-tduffy

* Not elite, I know, but that wasn't a requirement in his question.

--
The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and
to watch someone else doing it wrong, without commenting.