[linux-elitists] SPF

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 28 08:59:54 PST 2004

Quoting Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org):

> Causing wanton breakage is not an excuse for not trying something,
> on this list anyway.  Principled objections to SPF, anyone?

None.  Advertising SPF-formatted TXT RR records in one's DNS is easy,
breaks nothing, and provides others with a means of verifying that
forged mail didn't come from your MXes.  (Regardless of whether others
use the facility, it will be present as a definitive argument against
the "Your system sent me spam/malware" weenies.)  It's a Good Thing.

The "breakage" some complain of refers to people who forward or relay
mail needing to update their mail handling, if they wish their mail to
not be regarded as suspect by SPF-checking MTAs.  My sympathy for their
problem is minimal.

--
Cheers,               It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Rick Moen          It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,