[linux-elitists] Groupware servers

Larry M. Augustin lma@lmaugustin.com
Wed Jan 28 08:42:56 PST 2004

On Tuesday, January 27, 2004 Michael Dominok wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 00:12, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> > A friend of mine has a problem, at his office, they're slowly migrating
> > from Windows to GNU/Linux on the desktops. He needs a groupware server
> > that does shared calendars and mail, and that works with Outlook. The
> > people who are still using outlook need that to work seamlessly until
> > they're migrated, which won't happen in the very short term.
> >
> Skyrx/OpenGroupware.org could be for him. The Groupware itsef is free
> but he would have to buy licences for the Outlook-Connectors.
> (zidemap/zidestore)
> He could run any MTA with OGo. I'm currently hassling around with an
> exim4-courirer-imap combination. Though the OGosians recommend Cyrus.

Does anyone have recent experience with the Outlook connectors (MAPI DLLs)?
My understanding is that they provide only a basic level of functionality,
and lack some of the features of Outlook + Exchange.  (Delegates are
something that seems to get left out a lot.) The missing features may not be
an issue for you, but you should check to make sure.

Larry

p.s. I apologize for bottom-posting, and forcing those who are already up to
speed on this thread to scroll past material they have already seen to get
to my new comments.