[linux-elitists] Broken promises (was: The desktop in your pocket)

Ben Woodard woodard@redhat.com
Wed Jan 28 06:59:48 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 19:29, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Andrew">
>
> > RAID5 is a different story; the amount of overhead in calculating the
> > parity (yeah I know XOR) and writing *different* data to different disks
> > is (IMO) significantly higher than straight-out mirroring.
>
> s/significantly/marginally (and on modern cpus, mostly irrelevantly)/

In my experience, the problems with SW RAID even RAID5 may not show up
with just a handful of disks and it is certainly not the CPU. The
biggest problem is bus bandwidth. If you have the bus bandwidth to spare
SW RAID is fine. If the amount of data you are moving around saturates
your busses then HW RAID is necessary.