[linux-elitists] The desktop in your pocket

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 27 21:54:44 PST 2004

on Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 11:36:35AM -0800, Teh Entar-Nick (nick@teh.entar.net) wrote:
> begin  Larry M. Augustin  quotation:
> > Ah.  I think that I see my confusion.  Nick, what did you mean by
> > "address both internal and external displays separately"?  One
> > framebuffer displayed on both displays simultaneously?  One large
> > framebuffer split between the two displays?  Two independent
> > framebuffers?
>
> 	I do not mean one framebuffer displayed on both screens
> simultaneously.  That would be goofy given the anemic resolution of
> the built-in display.  I just think it would be great to have, say,
> one xterm on the back of the box, and the rest of the environment on
> the big screen.  Or maybe use the built-in screen for status messages
> or syslog.

Console + display is another option, though probably lacking in
mass-market appeal.

Splitting PDA and full-desktop modes would be the realistic way to roll.

Peace.

   Microsoft Outlook:  the security hole that happens to be an email client
   -- Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, in "How to avoid ILOVEYOU", May, 2000