[linux-elitists] Groupware servers

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Tue Jan 27 18:46:28 PST 2004

On 27-Jan-2004, Andrew wrote:
> There is also Exchange4Linux [...]

Thanks for the info, this does look quite interesting.

> Downsides:
> - everything is stored in postgres (emails, attachments, you name it)

There are ups and downs to this, though I tend to agree that storing the
mail itself would be better in something like Maildir.  Perhaps they're
trying to emulate Exchange (everything locked up so you can't diagnose
easily) as near as possible? :-)

> - CORBA is not NAT-friendly

In what circumstances is that a downside?  I can't imagine the target
audience wanting to NAT their pseudo-Exchange server to the world.  Or
are you saying CORBA isn't safe over a tunnelled connection?

> - the IMAP server is written in Python

How is that a downside?

--
 \        "The Bermuda Triangle got tired of warm weather. It moved to |
  `\            Alaska. Now Santa Claus is missing."  -- Steven Wright |