[linux-elitists] Groupware servers

Andrew akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Tue Jan 27 18:34:17 PST 2004

> Neither are free (either as in speech or beer), but both Bynari
> (www.bynari.com) and Scalix (www.scalix.com) have drop-in Exchange
> replacements that run on Linux.  Both require a MAPI DLL installed on the
> Windows client, but are otherwise transparent to Outlook users.

There is also Exchange4Linux (http://www.exchange4linux.org/ and
http://exchange4linux.sf.net/) -- I've been playing with this off and on
for a while now.  It looks _very_ promising.  Everything is stored in a
Postgres database, it used CORBA to talk to the proprietary Outlook plugin
and the e4l-side of the protocols are all documented and open.

Downsides:
- everything is stored in postgres (emails, attachments, you name it)
- CORBA is not NAT-friendly
- the IMAP server is written in Python

It's still in development but as I said, it's actually working rather well.
They even provide a 32MB chroot environment for testing it out, although
it's a couple versions behind (and VERY slow because of that).

Regards,
Andrew