[linux-elitists] Broken promises (was: The desktop in your pocket)

Mike MacCana mikem@cyber.com.au
Tue Jan 27 16:38:22 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 00:32 +0000, Adam Sampson wrote:
> Joakim Ziegler <joakim@avmaria.com> writes:
>
> > I'm setting up a storage server with RAID5, 6 drives of 200GB each. I
> > was originally going to buy something like the Promise SuperTrak SX6000,
> > but people kept telling me that a) that card is crap,
>
> They're right. Stay away from it.

I hate me too posts.

But me too. Promise's RAID drivers are mostly implemented in software,
which explains why Linux software RAID seems faster here too. Since
there's more people using Linux SW RAID than Promise's dodgy drivers,
its more stable code too and easier to recover with.

Mike