[linux-elitists] Groupware servers

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Tue Jan 27 16:33:49 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 17:12, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> A friend of mine has a problem, at his office, they're slowly migrating
> from Windows to GNU/Linux on the desktops. He needs a groupware server
> that does shared calendars and mail, and that works with Outlook. The
> people who are still using outlook need that to work seamlessly until
> they're migrated, which won't happen in the very short term.
>
> He looked at SuSE's OpenExchange Server, but that installs a plugin for
> Outlook, and works like POP, in that it moves mail to the local folders
> instead of accessing them over the network. This is unacceptable for
> him, so he's looking for something better.
>
> So, are there free or reasonably priced proprietary MAPI servers that
> preferably also do IMAP and iCal/WebCal for non-Outlook clients, and
> that runs on Linux? Googling turns up very little.

For reference, Dan was nice enough to email me offlist with the URL to a
relatively recent Linux Magazine cover story that goes through all the
alternatives, and seems to be exactly what my friend needs. I've passed
it on, for others who might be interested, it's at:

http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/29

--
   The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
    joakim@avmaria.com - http://www.avmaria.com - rdgzt@Undernet