[linux-elitists] The desktop in your pocket

Adam Sampson azz@us-lot.org
Tue Jan 27 16:32:58 PST 2004

Joakim Ziegler <joakim@avmaria.com> writes:

> I'm setting up a storage server with RAID5, 6 drives of 200GB each. I
> was originally going to buy something like the Promise SuperTrak SX6000,
> but people kept telling me that a) that card is crap,

They're right. Stay away from it.

We've replaced an SX6000 driving six disks here with Linux software
RAID on cheap PCI IDE cards, and are getting significantly better
performance. We also now get helpful software errors when something
goes wrong, rather than an irritating beeper that you have to reboot
to shut up. And our AGP graphics card works again.

--
Adam Sampson <azz@us-lot.org>                        <http://offog.org/>